Roadtrip tips Germany / Austria

• Hello all,

I hope I am in the right place in this forum, if not, please refer me if there is already a post about it.

In July I am going on a road trip through Germany and Austria with an M8 Cabriolet. :203:

As I am a Dutchman, I hope you can help me

Which routes / places should I absolutely not miss?

I look forward to your reactions.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dirkholland ()

• würde dir empfehlen die Frage auf deutsch oder auf Englisch zu stellen da fast keine hier Niederländisch versteht

Leuk om hier nog een Nederlander tegen te komen, is alleen niet echt handig om dan in het Nederlands een bericht te plaatsen op een Duits forum als je tips zoekt voor je roadtrip;)

• würde dir empfehlen die Frage auf deutsch oder auf Englisch zu stellen da fast keine hier Niederländisch versteht

Leuk om hier nog een Nederlander tegen te komen, is alleen niet echt handig om dan in het Nederlands een bericht te plaatsen op een Duits forum als je tips zoekt voor je roadtrip;)

The translator app sometimes does weird things :saint:

• I agree with the recommendation of Ben1995, the Eibsee is beautiful in any season. It is located just below the Zugspitze (Germany’s highest mountain), which can be climbed (or climbed with the Zugspitzbahn) in summer.

To stay overnight I can recommend the “Eibsee-Hotel”, very nice, many rooms with balcony and with a view.

The city is called Grainau and is only about 15-30 minutes from the Austrian border.

• I am not that much of an alps expert, but I have been to Berchtesgaden a couple of years ago, we enjoyed the Kempinski Berchtesgaden Hotel (when it was still part of Intercontinental Group, but I can still recommend it, absolutely stunning location on the Obersalzberg), and I met some guys doing an Audi R8 experience tour who had a stopover there. Their routing was Munich – Berchtesgaden (including Rossfeld Panorama Straße, visit to the Kehlsteinhaus and other local places), and then all the way down to the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße and further.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ChevyTahoe ()

• I can recommend the east part of Switzerland. Had a wonderful Roadtrip last year with a BMW i8 there. You can find my post with the exact route here.

Thankyou! I love switzerland. Last year i visited it with the GT-C. Amazing trip.

Now i have something like this in mind.. if anyone has suggestion near this road. Let me know!

Dateien

• Roadtrip.png

(421,29 kB, 65 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von dirkholland ()

• I'd consider to go the southern route from Sterzing, mainly: Reschensee - Stilfzer Joch - Bormio - Livigno - Munt La Schera - Davos

Stilfzer Joch is one of the most remarkable roads in Europe. Livigno is good for shopping/fueling your car. And Reschensee is quite interesting, as it's a flooded valley, where you still can see a church tower in the lake.

Also if you pass by Nuremberg and have half a day spare, you can make a detour via Fränkische Schweiz ans eat a Schäufele there.

• your route seems ok, I live between Eindhoven and Grassau (Traunstien) (900km apart) and I do this trip almost on bi-weekly basis, I always get excited once I cross Munich going south, you can't go wrong in that area and towards Salzburge, everything is a scene if you coming from NL.
    deutsche alpenstrasse is something to follow once you are south of Munich, other than this I can't really recommend car routes as from living there basically driving around the cities such as reit im winkel or literally anything else around there is a site to be seen.

Seegatterl 4, 83242 Reit. is a place where you can drive your car up the mountain against a fee 10 euro or so, then hike from there, pretty good as well.

• After you leave the Area of Düsseldorf/Cologne, you most certainly want to leave the Autobahn and drive through the "Westerwald"-Area.

It takes a bit longer, obviously, but there are many places you can see (old castles and stuff like that) while you drive through a nice landscape while enjoying the fact that the M8 handles beautifully.

Between Munich and Nuerenberg (I guess it's Nürnberg ;) there are some nice locations, for example the "Donaudurchbruch" near Weltenburg - I drove the whole part M->N on "Bundesstraßen" and did not use the Autobahn.

• Thank you for your suggestion. I have watched some video's on Youtube about the Stelvio pass. Its amazing. Thinking to do the Stelvio pass in this way!

• Thank you for your suggestion. I have watched some video's on Youtube about the Stelvio pass. Its amazing. Thinking to do the Stelvio pass in this way!

When you are in the area of the Stelvio Pass I recommend looking at the other passes nearby as the Stelvio Pass is often very crowded with cars and motorbikes. Have a look at my route from last summer here. Mainly I can recommend Timmelsjoch (Passo del Rombo), Penser Joch (Passo di Pennes), Jaufenpass (Passo di Monte Giovo) and Umbrail Pass (going down from Stelvio Pass, on this way you can also pass Reschenpass/Reschensee as mentioned by sijuherm ).