Deposit @ Sixt Koln

• Hi there everyone. I'm from Indonesia and have been looking to seek some information regarding Sixt Autovermietung.

I have read in the Sixt forum that they will block a certain deposit on your credit card. Can anyone tell me how much the deposit will be for a CXMR booking. I have booked the car for 7 days and will be travelling from Koln to Konstanz and going to Davos (looking for the best roads in the world according to Top Gear)
    Initial booking was for CLMR but I opted with navigation and it went automatically to CXMR.
    Because if its a large deposit ( PDMR class needs 2600 euro deposit??) I need to verify with my bank to raise the credit limit of my card.

I was tempted to ask in the German themen but I am afraid I couldn't understand it well. Although I do speak fluent German.

I will be travelling from Amsterdam to Koln to pickup the car om May 29 and travel back to Amsterdam on June 4. Hopefully I can get some enlightment here.

Vielen dank
    Ariefin

• Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the info, so it applies to all classes except the X-class. Will take note of it.

Kind regards,
    ariefin
    Greetings from Jakarta

• Aicariefin !

Your planned trip sounds like a good plan!

However, please bear in mind, German authorities might be quite pedantic about your driver's license, and a rental agent can be the same.

Please make sure, you either have an International Driver's License or an officially approved translation of your local license handy when you walk to the counter. Also mind the traffic signs and speed limits - espacially in Switzerland. ($$$$$).

• michael.
    Luckily I still have a International Drivers License. Although a lot of people say that I can use my local drivers license but I would rather take precautions.

I will be aware of the traffic signs, hopefully they are not much of a difference as in the Netherlands or Indonesia. Only main difference is that we drive on the right hand side of the road as in the UK.

@Franzose
    I was afraid of the 2600 Euro deposit coz it will definetly lock down my credit card. I was thinking of renting the new BMW 5 series but afterwards considered to get a compact instead. Does the Kaution / Deposit amount apply the same to all rental companies in Germany or is it only with Sixt. 2x Rent as Deposit?

Regards,
    Ariefin

• Does the Kaution / Deposit amount apply the same to all rental companies in Germany or is it only with Sixt. 2x Rent as Deposit?

Nope, as an example at Europcar the Deposit can be the price of the rental plus eiter 200€ or 250€, in all categories but X, that depends from the employee.

And if you want to book LDAR at Sixt though, you can write in the comment field that you dont want an Upgrade because of the deposit, they actually read that :D

Regards drcnt

• Another way would be to keep CXMR, and ask for the new BMW 5 series in Köln when you pickup the car.

If available, it shouldnt be a problem to upsell your booking to another class (depends on the employee in most cases).

• @DRCNT
    Usually companies don't read the comments we make (some experience here in Asia with rental cars)

comby
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully there will be no hassle in renting the car.

• well, if you are renting from Cologne airport, chances are high, that they will read your comment the second you are standing in front of them. If you are, however, renting in the city, they probably read it the day before.
    but I doubt very much that they have a new 5series spare to make an upsell.

• Zitat

well, if you are renting from Cologne airport, chances are high, that they will read your comment the second you are standing in front of them. If you are, however, renting in the city, they probably read it the day before.
    but I doubt very much that they have a new 5series spare to make an upsell

I am renting at the Sixt Hilton Hotel am Dom. Closest to the Hauptbahnhoff. Because I will be taking the morning ICE from Amsterdam Centraal and hope to be there at around 10.45. I was considering to get the one in the City Center. Maybe also a question would it be wise to take the car at Sixt Hilton Hotel am Dom which closes at 12.00 on Saturday ( I will arrive on Sat 29 May) or would it be more advisable to book the car in the City Center which closes at around 18.00 on Saturday.

ICE arrives around 10.45 from Amsterdam (which they state in their online booking) and I have booked the car at 11.00 for pick-up, maybe some suggestions from you guys what the best option for me should be.

• Zitat

Suggesting that Deutsche Bahn AG will be on time is dangerous.... ;)

To keep it short and simple: Booking at City Center would be the best alternative for you

Hmmm thanks for the info. I thought Deutsche Bahn would always be on time considering German efficiency, at least better than NS ;)

If I didn't joined this forum I would have been stranded in Koln :206:

• Hi there all,

It has been a while and I didn't get to rent the car in Germany. I rented at Hertz Overtoom and drove with a Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 to Amsterdam, Konstanz, Davos, Interlaken, Stuttgart (went to the Mercedes Museum and Porsche Museum). I do think I should have rented something larger than the Punto.

Got a good deal at Hertz. Euro 289 with Super Cover for 8 days with unlimited KM. Got the cheapest price because I have a HSBC card which gave me 10% off.
    The people at Hertz were surprised I drove 3190 km in their car. But they have given me good service :205:
    Maybe next time I will try renting something bigger if going to Germany.

PS. I got stopped by the Polizei in Konstanz. Weird thing was the officer spoke fluent Dutch and considering I was driving a Dutch licensed car he spoke immediately in Dutch

• And
    how did you like the Mercedes museum? € 289 for 8 days
    Fiat Punto I find a bit too much. I think that there are better offers.

The Mercedes Museum was very nice, unfortunately I was not aware that June 3 a Feiertag was.
    Original quotation was Euro 213 but i took the Super Cover insurance which was 76 euro for a week. Hertz Germany quoted around 100 euros for the Super Cover. I booked a Ford Focus in the beginning but than considered to get something smaller because I was travelling alone. Which unfortunately was a false move because driving at around 170 in a Punto on the Autobahn was not much fun :)

• in the Netherlands with UNL?
    I dont think so. its a very good deal

please do not compare the price with German prices, Dario

Yup I got UNL in the Netherlands, which was a surprise for most of my friends in Amsterdam and they all said thats the cheapest price ever. I did book under the Dutch website and they quoted 2100 km free and 0.21c / km. But when I changed my location to Indonesia they gave me Unlimited Mileage. If it weren't for UNL I wouldn't drive all the way from Amsterdam to Bellinzona, CH and back again. Total 3190