LWAR Saarbrucken oder FRA?

• Hallo,

Bitte entschuldigen Sie wenn mein Deutsch zu schlecht ist. Ich bin einfach Amerikaner.

Ich moechte ein Kombi vermieten. Ich fahre nach Deutschland von Paris mit dem Zug, und ich kann aus Saarbrucken oder Frankfurt vermieten. Gibt es besser LWAR wagen in FRA oder Frankfurt Hbf als Saarbruchen, oder fuer LWAR (zB Audi A6 Avant 45/50 oder gleich) gleich in Frankfurt als Saarbrucken?

Vielen Dank,
    Richard

• You'll find a way better selection in Frankfurt. However, there aren't that many ways to upgrade your LWAR reservation. So you might be fine in Saarbrücken as well.

You also have to consider the airport / train station surcharge in Germany.

• I guess it's easier for us to understand what you want if you rewrite your post in english.

It's that bad? :(

Anyway, what I am asking is: I want to rent a station wagon from Sixt in Germany, and will be coming into Germany by train from Paris. I can fit my schedule by either renting from the Saarbrucken Sixt (a bit more convenient for me) or the FRA airport or train station Sixt locations. If I am renting an LWAR (A6 45/50 or similar), will I get a better car by renting from either of the Frankfurt locations, or will the Saarbrucken location have the same kind of station wagon on offer that Frankfurt does? My main concern is in a small area like Saarbrucken they might only have a diesel or a smaller gas engine and just say sorry we don't have the more powerful models.

• YankeeDoodle - If having s cool car is a priority and especially you would be willing pay extra for certain upgrades ( XFAR and BMW X5M etc come to mind), you will be way better of at Frankfurt Airport.

That said, if you are planning to stay in LWAR, both a 4 cylinder engine (Audi 45 / BMW 530 Petrol) and/or a diesel engine could happen and would not be an issue, what you really want to avoid would be a hybrid.

The diesel engines you will find in LWAR aren't exciting, but they deliver huge amounts of torque and power while running smoothly - that's why most of us consider ourselves incredibly lucky if we can pick up a BMW 540d/530d - and so should you. The 540i isn't that much more interesting in terms of power and Audis 45 TFSI/55 TFSIe is what I would definitely rule out if I had the chance - not because it's a bad option in itself, but because it's the least powerful and fun to drive one compared to especially the diesel engines in LWAR

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von SOffiKI ()

• To an American who likes cars, an SUV is not an improvement as they are almost all we have here.

Is the hybrid a possibility? I would have thought that would be PWAR if at all present. That would be really terrible for me, as the reduced trunk size would make it unusable for us. Really I just want the most powerful wagon with a good cargo capacity with one rear seat still in use I can get (respecting what I hope are 240km/h limit winter tires Sixt uses and not 210km/h, as this will be in November). The 5er would be ideal as we don't have them in the USA at all (even the A6 we only get the Allroad version and the E class only the all-terrain version). I have to admit, I am surprised to see how much horsepower the diesels make. I assumed they would be high torque but low top speed. We don't get diesel cars in the USA anymore at all, only trucks.

Given that I want to be sure I do not get a hybrid, but also do not want to upgrade to an SUV of any kind, am I just as likely to be happy in Saarbrucken as in Frankfurt and should save myself 2 more hours of train?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von YankeeDoodle ()

• Given that I want to be sure I do not get a hybrid, but also do not want to upgrade to an SUV of any kind, am I just as likely to be happy in Saarbrucken as in Frankfurt and should save myself 2 more hours of train?

That's what I would do, additionally I would add a request to my booking (you can comment your reservation) kindly asking for a 530d/540.

It's obviously not binding for the station, so don't be disappointed if you end up in an Audi. I would try to avoid an Audi 55 TFSIe (trunk space is a great point in the discussion with Sixt, my actual (and hidden) intention would be that on the Autobahn it's basically a 45 TFSI with extra weight).

When it comes to tires, I would not worry too much as 240km/h tires are the more likely outcome, however there are some cars equipped with H tires (210).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von SOffiKI ()

• That's what I would do, additionally I would add a request to my booking (you can comment your reservation) kindly asking for a 530d/540.

It's obviously not binding for the station, so don't be disappointed if you end up in an Audi. I would try to avoid an Audi 55 TFSIe (trunk space is a great point in the discussion with Sixt, my actual (and hidden) intention would be that on the Autobahn it's basically a 45 TFSI with extra weight).

When it comes to tires, I would not worry too much as 240km/h tires are the more likely outcome, however there are some cars equipped with H tires (210).

Thank you for your help. It didn't occur to me to put a request for the model of car in the comments. I put a request for a 540d with a note that the TFSIe trunk is too small, with the hope that this maximizes my chances of getting the best car, but should at least help make sure I don't end up in a hybrid if I don't get the 540d. Maybe my Platinum status will get me some benefit (though it never has).

• You might really want to go to Frankfurt airport because you will find way more options within your LWAR class.

Who are we to suggest an SUV to an American?:120:

So better try to get a Diesel (wagon) as you don't have them in the US. I really don't understand why they have such a bad reputation.

But don't put any expectations on your Platinum status. In Germany it is even more worthless than in the US.

Of course, please let us know how the story ends.

• I have better experience with writing what I'd prefer, than what I am trying to avoid, but in an ideal world it would work.

Either way, it can't go terribly wrong in L***. ;)

danibe111 I have never been to Saarbrücken, but LWAR shouldn't be that much of an issue even in small cities? It's not Europcar. 😅🙈

YankeeDoodle - If they really mess it up in Saarbrücken, you could change the car at an airport along the way. If they (hopefully) won't, you save two hours of a train ride.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von SOffiKI ()

• Considering the current situation, it can be an issue at any station :106:

However, in Saarbrücken there might be one or two LWAR cars. If it's a hybrid: take it or leave it.

At FRA there might be 20 cars. At least there should be chances to avoid the worst.