American needs help with German car rental! / Amerikaner braucht Hilfe mit der deutschen Autovermietung!

• Any BMW 3 Series or 5 Series with navigation professional (which is normally standard in FDMR or LDAR) can easily be switched to English (as well as you can switch from liter per kilometer to miles per gallon etc.)

• I have been reading that it is possible to call ahead to station before rental and request a particular car? We do not have this in the US so I wanted to confirm.

So for LDAR reservation, would it be possible to request BMW M3 or M5? (I can dream, right!) Or for SSMR, request a Z4 35is?

With an LDAR reservation, if I do not like what is available in LDAR, will Sixt allow renters to pick from other cars on the lot?

Based on what I have read on the forum Sixt seems to be the best so I think that is the company I will use.

• Getting a M3 or M5 for LDAR reservation is almost impossible. Z4 35is for SSMR, well... not realistic as well.

On bigger stations (airport station) it MIGHT be that they offer you several cars.If they do not, you have permission to ask of course, but dont be disappointed if they dont give you your dreamcar ;).

• Those classes aren't showing up as bookable from Berlin-Europa Center.

What is a "reasonable" request for an LDAR that I can submit to the station ahead of time?

Thank you everyone for your continued help, looking forward to our time in Germany.

• It's a one-way rental in November. Convertibles should be out of the fleets by then. Also nice upgrades for one-way rentals are VERY unlikely.

Expect an A6 or 5er BMW and be happy if you get a really nice one. And yes, ask for a 530d if you prefer Bimmers over Audis.

Even if M3 or M5 were bookable, you wouldn't like the rates...

• especially not to other countries.
    if you do that, I promise you an extra couple of hundred Euro charge for bringing the car back.
    therefore you should not dream about these kind of cars. it simply cannot work. even if they plan to give you the car, once they see the oneway rental outside of Germany they rather give you no car at all than an M3 or M5

• Sometimes in the US when a car has to be returned to another state (or to Canada), if a renter is going one way to that place, there will be an upgrade. I suppose it's possible that there will be a car that needs to be returned to Switzerland?

I know, no crystal balls and no way of knowing if that will happen here.

• Sometimes in the US when a car has to be returned to another state (or to Canada), if a renter is going one way to that place, there will be an upgrade. I suppose it's possible that there will be a car that needs to be returned to Switzerland?

Possible, yes, but very very unlikely. Hertz actually has an extra site for cars that need to be transfered at http://www.hertz-transfer.eu, but there are not that many. There are only three Swiss cars in Germany, none of them in Berlin, and all IDMR or smaller.

• Next questions for the experts!
    Which station would be better? Berlin Europa Center, Hotel Adlon, or Mitte?

Also, if we do not like what we are given in Berlin, would we be allowed to change out at an airport location for a different car (of course, there would be a steering wheel shake above 80 km/h!)

• if you want calm environment and personal treatment with a low number of cars available, adlon may be better
    if you want a hectic environment with a wider choice of cars, the other 2 may be better :)

you choose :)