My experience with Sixt (plus a question)

• Hello all!
    My German is sadly not the best, so I thought I'd write here.

It all started about a month ago, when I had to book a car for a short Saturday trip from Hamburg (I have recently moved to Hamburg from a much sunnier country :106: ).
    After quite a lot of searching (too much perhaps) I rented Sixt class SSMR from Hamburg-Reeperbahn as it was cheaper than the airport, and the reviews here seemed quite good. I comented "Something sporty, if possible an Audi TT".
    Half an hour before the renting, I checked the Sixt app and to my shock I see 2 cars available: Opel Mokka and VW Touareg for an extra of 90€+. I instantly closed the app and hoped there was something else there...
    Upon arriving at the Reeperbahn station, the very helpful (and very good English speaking) young guy starts searching and searching and says the only thing available is a VW Touareg. I asked for something a little bit more sporty and the Representative offered an M6 for an extra of 50€+tax, which I was forced persuaded by my other half to decline(in retrospect,I should have said yes). So Touareg it is.
    The car was a 2016 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI, with 262hp, the RNS 850 navigation system, Xenon lights and Leather seats with only 8000km done.
    2.jpg
    (If only I had said yes... )
    1.jpg
    Anyway I did about 150km and in the end it wasn't a bad car, just not what I would have picked for a Saturday ride on the smaller roads of Northern Germany. A few things I liked:

• Smooth, smooth engine for a diesel.
    • Navigation system. Easily comparable to a mobile phone paid navi app.
    • Adjustable suspension was very good for a huge, heavy SUV. In Sport mode it felt..a bit sporty even.
    • Reasonably economical, I managed 8,8l/100km with 10% city driving, 40% B roads and 50% Highway.
    • The gearbox in most uses. Also, 8th gear??? :117:

Things I didn't like:

• Due to many gearbox speeds, the gearbox was a bit slow to change two gears down, e.g. when overtaking on the Autobahn.
    • Terrible sound quality from the speakers, considering it is a 70000€ car.
    • Not very much torque in low-RPM range.
    • Very "neutral" design, inside and outside.

Condition was generally very good, with tiny scratches, which were all noted on the contract.
    The return was...OK. Just OK. I was not told how to return, if I should get a ticket for parking entrance, if I should park somewhere specifically, or anywhere I liked. Anyways, I returned the keys, was asked by a representative (rather indifferent) if all was ok, I said yes, but that I was hoping for something sportier. He said renting on a Saturday it is very hard to find anything sporty because everything is rented out for the weekend, so I asked what they had generally. He said mostly BMW series 4s, so I asked "Do you even have any Audi TT?" to which he said "Probably, but I have never seen one at our station"! So, note to self: rent LSMR, rent before Thursday.

Exactly a week later I get an email (in english) with the bill. To my surprise I see a charge for €50+tax. Obviously, this was either a wrong charge from the representative for that M6 I didn't get in the end (it was exactly the extra amount he mentioned) or it was for the SSMR -> XFAR upgrade, even though he never mentioned an extra charge. So my (fluent in German) friend calls Sixt, also mentions that we asked for something sporty, was offered only the Touareg, which was actually not at all desired, as we are not a family with 10 children (that's not what she said, but you get the idea :P ). Luckily, they agreed to pay back the amount (paid back 2 days later) and mentioned they would "talk" to the representative about it, whatever that meant.

So all in all, an OK experience, the car was far from desired, but a good well-spec'd car nonetheless, and the customer service was good, so will rent again.

Now for the question: In Hamburg which station has the best choice of sporty cars? The airport? To perhaps save not getting charged the Premium location fee, which station could I choose? Is the Audi TT anywhere to be seen?

• I also have a question: Were the 50€ mentioned on your contract (the long paper bill)

Now for the question: In Hamburg which station has the best choice of sporty cars?

Well if you want to make sure to get some thing "real" sporty check motiondrive ;) also take a look at the starcar VIP Fleet and the Europcar Selection Cars.

• The class SSMR is very difficult this year. Last year it was almost a guarantee to get an nice Audi TT TFSI 230 HP quattro with s line an LED Headlights etc. This year there are very few Audi TT, some BMW 2 series coupé and som VW Scirocco.
    Most stations do have plenty of BMW 4 series Gran Coupé as 20d, because the class is pretty expensive, most of the 420d GC are not that well equipped and they're not better or sportier than a regualr 320d sedan, wich you can rent for way less money.

Actually it was just bad service by the station to not give you an Car from SSMR or LSMR, because to be straight: They had to. If you book a special car (xSxx for "sportscar", xTxx for convertible, xFxx for Offroader) they HAVE to give you something from that "group". Considering, that LSMR class is really very common (to give you an upgrade from SSMR within the xSxx "Group"), and you even had the request filled in for a sporty car, the Touareg is almost the "wrongest" car to give you.

• After reading this board's entries I thought Reeperbahn was one of the stations with a good choice of "better" cars. ?(
    Tough luck.

That's what I thought too, given the location... I actually saw 2 Jaguar F-Type cabrios (in white :thumbdown: ) when I returned the Touareg and an BMW i8 (and another Touareg, an S-Class, an E-class, an A-class, 2 3-series, 2 5-series and 2 Mokkas, FYI. But I was expecting more sporty stuff!)

I also have a question: Were the 50€ mentioned on your contract (the long paper bill)

Well if you want to make sure to get some thing "real" sporty check motiondrive ;) also take a look at the starcar VIP Fleet and the Europcar Selection Cars.

The 50€ was actually written in the bill (again, all in German, but I should have know better, I know).
    Great tip, thanks a lot! I am actually looking for something a bit sporty (but not too expensive), like a TT or something like that for a nice trip to the Alps, but I wouldn't like to book SSMR again and end up with a station wagon! So I guess I should give Europcar a chance...?
    Thanks

• Was the 50€ only on the final bill or already on the rental contact which you got when they gave you the keys to the car.

Apparently it was in the rental contract (at least that is what Sixt said on the telephone) but as it is was in German, I obviously couldn't read it (well not very accurately at least). Shouldn't there have been an English contract? How do they expect tourists (I expect they have a good share) to read it? It was nice of them to return the 50€ but as I said, it was never mentioned to me that there was an extra charge for the upgrade, nor was I even given a choice of another (cheaper) car. The representative just searched and said "The only thing we have is a Touareg", and then offered an M6 as an upgrade for 50€.

A Touareg ist really not the sportiest car in the world, but I suppose you're not able to get that much HP in the SSMR-Group like the Touareg has.
    Dunno how you could like the GPS, it's the worst I have dealt with in years.

Well the Audi TT I was hoping for is about a ton lighter and only 40hp less, so it would not have been that worse. Don't get me wrong, 262HP is not bad at all, but SSMR would have much more agility (unless they gave me a Scirocco).
    The actual navigation I liked quite a lot, very accurate, good choice of route and accurate maps. What was actually not good was the RNS850 touch screen. The system was kind of slow to respond (by far not the slowest I have seen though) and the touch screen needed A LOT of pressure to accept commands, it was actually more like bashing than touching.
    Thanks for the tips guys, I will give Europcar a chance.