5 day rental in Germany. Sixt or Avis?

• Hi,

i am thinking of going on a 5 day trip to Germany soon. Though i have been wondering where to rent a car. We're 4 people travelling, so it needs space.
    In august we rented a car at Sixt in Flensburg, i am from Denmark BTW. After reading a lot on this site, i decided to book the SDMR class with Diesel + Automatic as a wish. I could make out that booking that car would probably give me an upgrade, and it did. We ended up with 12 days in a very nice Mercedes E200 CDI Avantgarde, great car, though a little lack of power. :203:

Now when looking at the prices i can get an SDMR car for around €450 , with full insurance.
    But at Avis (Wucherpfennig) i can get a K class, that's cheaper, about €350 but i am not sure about the size. I really want to get a German car, and it seems that Avis has quite a large number of Citroens, Renaults and even Hyundais where as Sixt only seem to have BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc.

So, should i go for my well known sixt? Or give Avis a shot?

Best Regards
    Victor

• Well, I think it would be the best if you rent again at Sixt Flensburg because the Avis Station is very very very small and as you said, they often have non-german cars. But let me tell you that Sixt also has non-german cars in the fleet (mostly in the smaller categories).

I often rent at Sixt Flensburg and I'm always pleased and most of the time they have a 520d or similar (I can take a look at the station the day before your rent, just send me a message)

Maybe you can give us the period you want to travel (Mo-Sa?).

• It depends on the group you book. Cars in Avis group K are listed in our wiki (just click on K in the post). Sixt-equivalent would be something of Cxxx, e.g. CPMR, with only German Cars in this group. But beware of an upgrade! And automatic transmission isn't guaranteed.

You might want to take a look at Avis Select: http://www.avis.de/selectseries

There you can book a guaranteed model, e.g. VW Golf GTI/GTD or MB C-Klass. You have to check out, if it's available at the station you want to rent the car.

• Thank you very much for the quick respond.
    The plan is to travel from Sunday - Thursday. The dates are 13-17 April. We're 4 people so i actually think the 1 Series, A class, Golf etc. might a bit small. And when booking SDMR i think theres a good chance of ending up in a 3 or 5 series, which i would really like to try out.
    Also how does upsale work? Is it cheaper to try and get a larger car when picking up, or when booking?

What about Europcar in Flensburg are they any good in terms of fleet?

Thanks in advance!

• Ok,
    i think i am going for an SDMR. I will write to you shadow.blue when final, then a look would be great. I will of course count on an upgrade but CLA, CC or Audi A3(DSG must) is good enough, but you can always hope for an upgrade. I will try and get pictures for a review or Erfahrungsbericht, on whatever i get. I didn't get that many pictures of the E200 CDI, but maybe i should make a review... hmm

Thank you for your opinions and for a very nice forum!